Thursday 31 January 2013


Learning Eclipses with Oreo Biscuits

The students were quite amazed to see me with Oreo biscuits in my hand this morning. They were even more amazed when I called them to a table and asked them to gather around and watch me eat the biscuits. What they did not realize was that they were about to be introduced to Lunar Eclipse through Oreo biscuits. I broke the biscuits apart and ate part of the white cream on them carefully to create Crescent Moons and Gibbous Moons in their waxing and waning states. Then I laid them in front of the kids and they were quick to identify them as the phases of the moon. We had a class discussion on the phases of the moon and how Lunar Eclipse takes place.



I also explained the concept of day and night to them using a torch light and a globe.
I asked the kids if they knew of another similar phenomenon and they knew I was talking about Solar Eclipse. It was good fun having a discussion and making our understanding clearer. This was followed by the viewing of a video which helped the students understand the Lunar and Solar Eclipses better.


No comments:

Post a Comment